But we, along with a bunch of other outlets, weighed in on the rumor that Russell Crowe would be playing Dr. Watson in Sherlock Holmes, the retooled detective movie directed by Guy Ritchie and starring Robert Downey Jr. Because the source of this story was Britain's The Sun, we told you that it might be suspect.

And its shelf life was brief.

Ritchie talked to Empire about the movie at the British premiere of RocknRolla (which is due out in the UK this Friday). "I don't have a Watson," confessed Ritchie. "Somebody just told me that I have Russell Crowe lined up but that’s news to me. I suspect that hasn't happened and I'm still looking for my Watson."
One item The Sun got right, however, was the shooting schedule: This thing is racing into production within a few weeks. And Ritchie is damned excited, despite not having Russell Crowe's towering talent at his disposal. "We’ve got what I’d like to think are some of the best locations in London and with this film I get to show a whole new side to London. I’ve done contemporary and now I won’t be doing that, obviously.”

That answers the question about whether or not Holmes will be Victorian; there has been speculation that, because of the director's flashy style and the hints that the character will be updated, they might shift the chronology. Looks like that won't happen, which is great news.

As for Downey, his wife Susan is co-producing the film and is a RocknRolla producer, as well. She confirms he's attacking the role with his typical verve. “He’s been practicing how he’s going to sound, how he’s going to look and he’s pretty excited,” says Downey. “He’s going to get here in the middle of the month and he’s raring to get going.”

And while she's secretive on specifics of the plot, Downey does reveal that her husband is “a badass in this movie.”

All of that, even the clarification on Crowe, is encouraging. I still hold up Paul Giamatti as my pick for Watson (just watch The Illusionist). He's an ideal choice. I also love Chiwetel Ejiofor, which would be way out of left field, but imagine the possibilities.

We'll definitely keep you posted on Dr. Watson. Crowe was not the best fit for that role. And since he's Holmes' confidant and biographer (possibly the narrator for the film, depending on its structure), the right actor is crucial.
[source]